Sunday, November 21, 2004

Cider Creme - Reframed

This is a follow up of Cider Creme - Basics and Reframing.
I have to swerve a bit to get to the reframed cider creme. Sorry, but it's really necessary:
  • 1st Swerve: Another thing I've learned from Tom is to discuss my current projects with as many different people as possible. This is an unsurpassed source for the reframing process [Sub swerve: yes, I steal -- wherever I can. I was brought up in Thurgau. Malicious gossip says that people from Thurgau walk around the house first thing in the morning to see if all stolen goods are still there].
  • 2nd Swerve: Tiptopf is a brilliant book. It's almost fail-safe. All the basics required for cooking are described in detail. On the other hand, the book contains only basic recipes. Reframing is essential to turn them from solid and good to brilliant and breath taking.
The decisive input for the reframing of Tiptopf's cider creme came from my colleague Martin. He brought me the recipe of a Norman cider creme (the Normandy is a great cider region - more on that in another follow-up). The tiny but essential difference is that the Norman recipe uses less lemon juice and adds 1 dl of Calvados in the last stage. Of course, as a Thurgauer, I suggest to use Thurgados instead of Calvados.

No comments: