Monday, July 21, 2008

Cherry Fever

It's cherry season. However, the biggest issue about cherry season is to get dead ripe, deliciously sweet and deep brown-red cherries. In supermarkets you usually only get quite tart and bright red variants, which are easy to transport. So the only way to obtain cherries I actually like, is to go to the farmers' market or to your farmer of trust.



If you have them in your kitchen and if you managed to get rid of the pits without turning your kitchen in an abattoir, you can proceed making delicious dishes - such as cherry pie...



cheesecake with cheery topping (cooked in port or rum)...



or add them to your morning smoothie.
.


What is your favourite cherry treat?

Added later

And here are Sylv's favourites.

8 comments:

Mickle in NZ said...

Here in the "NZ down under" cherry season coincides with Christmas. And Christmas celebrations just don't feel right without them.

I mostly love cherries just as they are. And they're still going at my birthday almost a month later, so I treat my workmates to a big bowl of cherries and a big bowl of cherry tomatoes. They all get promptly eaten.

Enjoy the lovely stone fruit that is currently available to you. Huggles to you each and both

Michael Lehet said...

It's cherry season over here too and I've been filling my tummy for a few weeks. Your desserts look delicious!!!!!

Mickle in NZ said...

How many different types of fruit have you put into that smoothie? Yummy and fiberous?

Just an envious Mickle with designer innards. Too much fibre is a "problem"

Huggles from me and the purring zebby-cat. xxx purrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mr. Urs said...

Mickle, if I recall correctly it put in apricots, raspberries, strawberries, kiwis, an orange and cherries.

Mickle in NZ said...

The photos all show such yummy food. Enjoy it all!

Anonymous said...

Chirschitschu and Chriesibrägu!!!

Mr. Urs said...

Oh Sylv, I was born and raised in Eastern Switzerland. I have not the slightest idea what you are talking about,

Anonymous said...

Email with recipes is on the way to you, they are ver yold fashioned dishes and I'm sure you know them,but under another name!