Friday, March 11, 2005

Call Me Mr. Fruit Machine

A thing, I can't grasp, is that there are obviously people out there who have a problem with fruits. I can't live without fruits! The lack of fruits is probably the only thing, I don't like when I'm in Siberia (besides of the mosquitos in summer). Here are my personal fruit charts:
Note: Please consider that a) I live in Switzerland, b) there are seasonal fruit limitations, and c) long distant transport impairs taste & texture and is just un ecological
  1. Apples
    I was brought up on a farm in a area that is called Cider India. A life without apples would be cruel. I suffer in July and August, when last season's apples are not good any more and the new one's can't yet be picked. Consumption: 2-4 kg/week
  2. Bananas
    Although imported, the cornerstone of my breakfast. It's the PowerBar of the fruits, delivered in the perfect wrapping. (there are Max Havelaar version available - just for the conscience). 1.2 kg/week
  3. Oranges and Mandarins
    Citrus fruits are the reason why winter is a lovely season. Especially, I like the white stuff on the inner side of the rind. 2-4 kg/week (winter only)
  4. Grapes
    My favorite dinner in September and October. I wash a big bunch, lay on the couch and eat it along with a Gold Bürli (Zürich's best bread roll with a hard crust that makes the jaw hurt). Did you know that grapes constitute approximately 50% of all fruit grown in the world? 5-6 kg/week in Autumn
  5. Pineapples
    Probably the most delightful fruit at all. Forget the canned version. They are dawned in sirup. Unfortunately, the unwrapping is tedious and really good ones are exceptionally expensive. 1 per month.
  6. Peaches
    So sweet, so delicious, but I can hardly manage to bring them home from the shop without squashing them. If I mange to do it without, they are neither sweet nor delicious. I try sometimes
  7. Grapefruit
    I would like to eat more of it. They are deliciously sour. But my body says stop after one piece. 1 per month in winter
  8. Lemon
    I eat every slice I (or my friends) get with a drink. Consumption depends on my bar visits (fluctuating).
  9. Kiwis
    I can't understand what supposed to be so special about Kiwis. They taste like water and are tedious to peel. Consumption almost 0.
  10. Mangos
    Unfortunately, my taste for Mangos has been tainted for good. In 1980, Swiss retail giant Migros used a national scout jamboree for a add campaign and distributed tons of Mango juice to the camp. I drunk to much of it and can't stand the taste of it anymore. Please, don't eat mangos in my vicinity. Consumption is 0.

1 comment:

Ms Mac said...

I am so with you on the kiwis and mangoes. The smell of a mango puts me off! I wish I coud be as enthusiastic as you about fruit!