Sunday, August 19, 2007

Self-Indulgence

In due course I will turn 40. The church was the first who dared to congratulate me. I call this memento mori. Whatever, I'm not used to celebrate birthdays but I'm used to indulge myself for the occasion.

I can't remember my tenth birthday. For my twentieth, I made a spring-break trip to Florida. For my thirtieth, I bought myself a IWC Mark XII. And I also found myself something for my fortieth - a huge dough bowl to satisfy my baking urges:



It really big, i.e. 37 cm/14.6 in wide and 17 cm/6.7 in deep. You can knead a dough with both hands in it.



I could not wait until my birthday to use it. The first things I made with it were a Swiss and a Russian plaited loaf.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

yummy! Now that looks incredible. I'm not a baker but 2 blocks away from work they sell swiss breads. Maybe I'll finally buy one soon!

Toño said...

I am real glad that can help you with all your other urges...:)

Anonymous said...

when will it happen then ? You joining the Big 4-Oh club:)?
by the way the Russenzopf looks delish,I'd gladly devour a piece of it!!

Ms Mac said...

Nice! What's in the Russian plaited loaf? Vodka?

Michael Lehet said...

You had a productive weekend (unlike some of us)

Mr. Urs said...

Ms.Mac: I have no idea why. There is no booze in it at all. But on the same day, we had these entrecôtes with a pepper calvados sauce. So we got our share.