Thursday, December 02, 2004

Ceci n'est pas un chat

Ahmed Bin Salad has called the animal on the flashy new icon and the photo in my profile cat. That's not correct. It shows a marten.

Marten (actually the German Marder) was the name given to me by the Boy Scouts. It is a tradition among guides and scouts in the German speaking part of Switzerland to baptize new members. The idea is to give a name that reflects the characteristics and qualities of person. I have now idea, which of my qualities supposed to be reflected in a marten.

Cultural reference for non art geeks: René Magritte.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now let me think: I remember them running round the attic in my childhood. They like to live in very old buildings. That much is true for you as well (the first 15 years).
They are quick, smart, cute....

You should gratefully accept that you weren't named after a drug.

Carla G!

mr. mac said...

Are these the same animals that chew on the brake lines of cars left outside overnight? They seem to be somewhat destructive, if that is the case, and not the sort of behaviour that should be aspired to by anybody regardless of their uniformed youth organisation affiliation.

Mr. Urs said...

Exactly, mate. Stone Martens show this behaviour. As an urban cyclist, I can understand that one can develop hard feelings against cars. But obviously, martens gnaw on car parts because of territory marks of other martens. The martens are the elder, hence they have preeminence and the cars have to stop moving. Problem solved.