Saturday, January 26, 2008

Brussels Sprouts

A long quest found its end. I've discovered a methode to cook with Brussels Sprouts, so that I actually like it.

Last night we went for Chateaubriand and hence had to cut down a bit today. The decision was to got for a soup for lunch. I felt like oatmeal soup would be the perfect choice. But we had only a quarter of a leek left. So I substituted the additional required quarter with Brussels sprouts - the only other vegetable that was left.



So far the best decision I made today. I would never have thought that Brussels sprouts could taste so absolutely fabulous like in combination with leek, roasted oatmeal and stock:

Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan (I prefer canola), add three tbsp of oatmeal, roast a bit, add the chopped leek and Brussels sprouts, reduce the heat and braise lightly. Deglaze with 0.8 litre of stock. Heat the soup up, reduce the heat and let it simmer for half an hour.

2 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Is oatmeal soup not porridge?

Brussels sprouts is one of my absolute favourite vegetables. I love being the only one at the table who eats sprouts- more for me!

Anonymous said...

Yumm,it's certainly lovely, have u tried to make them as a salad, i have done this as an entrée and earned lots of compliments.
Half them, cook them until al dente,drain and set aside,fry some sliced champignons with thinly sliced bacon and then arrange the luke warm sprouts on a plate,scatter mushroom and bacon over and top with a italian,very herby, dressing made with balsamico and olive oil:)

Other than that, I go with MsMac , I love them as well,verrrry much.