Sunday, January 27, 2008

Commendable Feasting

This weekend, we are setting an example in seasonal and healthy cocking. We are only using storable vegetables like for tonight's pot-au-feu. And already twice, we had Sauerkraut!

Sauerkraut with Anise



Just cook the Sauerkraut with half a tablespoon of aniseeds and serve with freshly made meatballs. You feel like a small boy playing with mud when mixing the mincemeat with old bred, egg, mustard, garlic and freshly chopped herbs with your bare hands.

Sauerkraut Focaccia



Bake a focaccia with spelt flour. Let it cool slighted, cut it horizontally and then into eight pieces. Spread mustard onto the bottom half, slather freshly cooked or heated sauerkraut lavishly, add prosciutto, crème fraîche and put the upper half on top.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

....which reminds me, I did make the sauerkraut/salmon pie yesterday, will update my blog with pic tomorrow,and I have the order to pass on a BIG THANK YOU to you from my mom, who enjoyed it immensely with a glass of prosecco:)

Ms Mac said...

Eurrk! They were cooking the Sauerkraut down in Hinwil the other day. Much as I like sauerkraut, I don't like driving through a fog tainted with its cooking aroma much.

Mr. Urs said...

Ms Mac: entire Switzerland is supplied from Hinwil. You're suffering for the Nation. How honourable is that.

Sylv: where did you find the wild Pacific salmon? I had to use Atlantic

Mickle in NZ said...

Gloriously beautiful bread. And with spelt flour! Any chance you'll share the exact recipe, or recipe method? In admiration... from the Michelle in NZ. Thank you kindly, ... Mickle

Anonymous said...

But you do something besides cooking and eating once in a while too? Just wondering. Tigresa

Mr. Urs said...

Well, tigresa: I have to eat three times per day or I get crabbed... There are things in between like work and sleep.

Anonymous said...

That point is yours, my dear :) Just jealous.
Tigresa