Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sentimental at Starbucks

Sine I'm on a business trip, I'm parted again from Toño ... and when I'm asleep, I search for him in vain.

When I come back from work to the hotel here in Fredericksburg, VA, I usually go for a 25 minutes walk to the next Starbucks to sip a latte and enjoy the sunset behind the shops.

So you can imagine my mood when I was cuing for my shot and discovered a New Wave sampler on the shelf, full of music that carried me through my teenage years. Yes, I had to get it - only to drive my sentimental mood into the next level.



Roxy Music: More Than This
The Pretenders: Brass in Pocket
XTC: English Roundabout
Jesus and Mary Chain: Just Like Honey
Tears For Fears: Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Joy Division: Love Will Tear Us Apart
The Smiths: Hand In Glove
Echo & The Bunnymen: Never Stop (Discotheque)
The Cure: In Between Days
Ramons: I Wanna Be Sedated
Squeeze: Another Nail in My Heart
The Psychedelic Furs: The Ghost In You
Generation X. Dancing with Myself
The Specials: A Message to You Rudy
Tom Tom Club: Genius of Love
Elvis Costello & The Attractions: (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding

12 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Oooh, it's like they recorded one of my school discos!

Toño said...

I have been listening to Kylies newest tunes and I love all almost all of them.

Missing you much.

Mr. Urs said...

Toño, this is the Kylie song that you did not know.

Mickle in NZ said...

It even has Ian Mcthingammy from Echo and the Bunnymen on the cover! Wonderful blast from the past for me, a proud Gen X'r. Though I had forgotten about the Tom Tom Club.

When ever I hear Soft Cell's version of "Tainted Love" I'm 17 again.

Mr. Urs said...

Mickle, Tom Tom Club was a side project of Talking Heads members Tina Weymouth and Chris Franz. They are still known for this project because they ended up to be heavily sampled by rappers Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Funkdoobiest and Redman, as well as Mariah Carey. For me , they are just the run-to-the-dance-floor number that makes you smile.

Anonymous said...

Mickie, ya know what, Tainted Love was originally written and perfomed by none other than Gloria Jones ;) who happened to be 'my' Marc's girlfriend:) she even did a duet of it with Marc Almond some time ago.

Other than that,that play list would've been something my sister would've played up and down :)

The 80's were not very much my cup of tea,especially the second half of them.

mr. mac said...

I will be needing to listen to this CD please.

I believe you know the routine by now...

markus said...

i'm more interested in the "rude" as defined by a san deigo church starbucks logo

Mr. Urs said...

Markus, I don't understand Americas troubles with nibbles - and as like children would go to Starbucks. And when so, as if they would have any problems with a mermaid, which spreads her legs (as if mermaids have any legs anyway)

Ms Mac said...

Ian McCulloch.

We have the best of Echo and the Bunnymen (Songs to Learn and Sing) here if you're interested. We could do a swapsies per Mr Mac's request. Although I would imagine that's a cd that has been in your cd collection for some years now.

Mr. Urs said...

Ms. Mac, I have to admit that this jewel is missing in my collection. Hence, I would be truly interested in The Swap.

Anonymous said...

Through the magic of download and burn, I will be re-creating this cd today :-)