Friday, May 02, 2008

Züri-Hegel

Do you remember this? Even bureaucrats sometimes mange to shove some paper. After they processed it for over two and half years, Toño finally received his citizenship certificate:



We celebrated this event in a traditional Zürich tourist-trap (in the company and at the cost of some top Cypriot wine makers).

Although, I had lived in Zürich for 25 years and 10 days when Toño was naturalised, he now refers to me as the foreigner, since I'm citizen of Märstetten. This village lies in Thurgau, a former colony of Switzerland which was liberated by Napoleon (e.g. my place of birth was built in the colonial era).

Toño is now entitled to apply for a Swiss passport, which he should receive in a fortnight.

3 comments:

Michael Lehet said...

Congratulations Tono!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!! Congratulations to the new Züri Hegu from the Bärner Modi! (I am a double Bernese,both places of origin ( heimatorte) in Ct.BE and born in the city itself too:) )

I hope the citizienship application will be processed much quicker!

Unknown said...

Oh Congrats Tono - what a special occasion! I celebrate 1 yr of immigration, 2 more to go, and a bit less to apply for citizenship.. then the passport.