Sunday, May 25, 2008

Thinking of Deserts

Looking at Tigresa's images from the desert, memories of my first encounters to sandy places resurfaced (I prefer desserts to beaches).

I put my feet for the first time on a sea of sand, when I travelled through Central Asia in 1988, where the desert Kyzyl Kum lies. However, we mainly stayed in the cities, such as marvellous Bukhara.

The main beginners mistakes was, to take only black jeans with me, not the best idea when you travel in July. I learned from this for my next trip to a hot place in 1989:



This picture was taken in the Roman theatre in Bosra in southern Syria. As you can see, my outer garment has undertaken a significant learning curve.

The most amazing part of that trip was the oasis Palmyra in central Syria. If there is one place you should visit in your life, it's Palmyra. And take your time to stay at least a couple of days. I have never seen anything alike any more. It's also the place where I had my first Mate, and where a Beduin tried to sell me his daughter (she had to translate since her father did not speak any English).

On the trip to Central Asia, I was reading Arthur Miller's autobiography Timebends. But I can't remember what I was reading in Syria besides of archaeological literature.

1 comment:

Ms Mac said...

I prefer desserts to both beaches and deserts. But that's no secret.