Sunday, May 28, 2006

Москва, ёб твою мать!

If I would have to name a place where I feel as comfortable as a fish in water, I were to say Moscow. I like to dive into the masses of the metro, the parks and the squares. It's vibrant, full of history and over the top too massive.

However, my love is deeply disturbed. Not only that Putin and his cronies are robbing the wealth of the country and steering right back into a dictatorship, but also that civil rights count less every bleeding day. Yesterday's news that the country's first gay rally was violently broken up, is only the tip of the iceberg. One can't even say that Russia is heading back to medieval times, because then Russia was apparently very tolerant of homosexuality. Even 100 years ago, it was one of the most liberal places in this respect. My hope that they come to their senses is vanishing.

These are some pictures I took in Moscow, when I lived there for a winter in the early nineties (click to enlarge):

2 comments:

Toño said...

To be honest I din't expect this reaction from Russia, because of their high cultural level in which understanding and integrating homosexuality in their society has always been treated and respected in literature and music. It seems that gay persons in Russia has to suffer and pay a high price for what their goverment is not able to manage. I present all my respects for the russian gay society and I wish you all strength. Putin should be shamed of this unspeakable act agaist human rights.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I guess in Russian point of view if you like your friend it doesn't mean you should give your ass for him to play with. Have you ever though may be it's not Russia what is not open-minded, may be it's just US or Holland too perverted! Don't tell me that have same-sex partner is usual way for people to reproduce. If you though that was cool, I think that is one of the most stupid thing one could do. Especially man.