Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Facing the Out-stretched Palm

I'm a guest here in Anglo-America and it's not for the guests to complain about the cultural behavior of their hosts. However, I will do it anyway, because it's about money and when we Swiss know anything then it's about money. But I'm not alone, as I could read in Monocle's November issue, where the editor in chief wrote:

I know I'm partly to blame because too much time spent in Asian hotels has made me intolerant for mediocre north American service delivered with an out-stretched palm.

Yes exactly, I'm complaining about the tipping culture.

I don't mind paying a fair price for the service, but why can't this be included in price listed on the menu? The same goes for the various taxes. I'm not interested what the single items cost. All I'm interested in is the bottom line and an attentive service. It doesn't help when I know my waiters name (I don't do names anyway) and I don't need him/her constantly in my face. And last but not least, I'm useless when it comes to mental arithmetic.

Dear Anglo-American restaurateurs,

Please pay your staff decent wages, include the taxes in the prices on the menu, and don't expose me to mental stress.

Sincerely,
gomad.ch

4 comments:

Toño said...

I absolutely think it is time for you to come back to your mountains and cows... well and cowboy as well :)

Unknown said...

Lol - just another thing I hate about being here...

And - I totally agree, but they won't change, especially on the wage issue.

Rob7534 said...

HA! Love your open letter to North America... it's well said.

As someone who has been indoctrinated from a very early age, I can computate 20% in a heartbeat, but I refuse to give 25%... what's that about?! I never voted for, and approved a rate hike in the service industry's volunteer tipping policy!

I demand a recount.

Mr. Urs said...

Ups, its 20% now - I under tipped, sorry folks.