Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Catching Up

On our trip to California and back we flew Business (one leg a complimentary upgrade and the other against tons of miles). Why this is so important? Well, life is too short to drink mediocre wine like one has to do in coach. To our surprise, the Maître de Cabine brought us an envelope with an accompanied bottle of Bordeaux. It was the present of our neighbours, which we had asked to take care of our plants. A really nice way to say thank you for this honour.

Back to the main thread. I used to go to the cinema at least once per week. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. I have even difficulties to remember the last film I saw in a cinema. Flying business for almost an entire day gave me the opportunity to catch up a bit. This is what I saw on my personal screen:

Shooter



A glumly macho thriller full of action clichés, probably written by a script robot. Although I have a crush on Mark Wahlberg since his days as an undies model, I'm happy not to have wasted any money at the box office.


Die Herbstzeitlosen (autumn crocuses)



A swiss version of Cocoon that does not use aliens but the rejuvenating power fine lingerie to energize some seniors with youthful vigour. I really enjoyed it (and shed some tears).


300



The carnage at the Battle of Thermopylae is brilliantly choreographed and rendered with battleship-gray skies and copper fields (The New Yorker). But there is neither something called a plot nor any characterization. The dialogues are a complete disgrace. Quite a waste.


Azul oscuro casi negro (English title: Dark Blue Almost Blueack)



The absolute opposite of 300. Touching, surprising, unusual and intriguing. I absolutely loved it. The film is about making the most of it when life takes us in unexpected directions.


The Lookout



A tick further than making the most of it, this small-scale thriller is about turning a handicap into an advantage. Unfortunately, I have no idea how it ends. They switched off the entertainment system, before it happened. Never mind, I forget anyway the ending of both films and books. All I know is that I want to see more of the leading actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who looks a bit like a smarter version of Keanu Reeves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Azul oscuro casi negro (US title: Dark Blue Almost Blue)

shouldn't this be "Dark Blue Almost BLACK"?

Mr. Urs said...

Right Odi, it's black.

Unknown said...

i'm glad you had a most excellent trip flying business class!