Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Something Between Heaven and Earth

I'm one of those schmucks who read while sitting on the loo. The appropriate printing matter for these occasions are trash mags. However this morning there was nothing else at hand but The New Yorker. And so I had to learn between first coffee and breakfast smoothie how ignorant I actually am. I basically know but can not quite tell the difference between a meteoroid, meteorite and meteor. The New Yorker gave some hints but I had to look it up:

meteoroid
A solid body, moving in space, that is smaller than an asteroid and at least as large as a speck of dust.

meteorite
A stony or metallic mass of matter that has fallen to the earth's surface from outer space.

meteor
A bright trail or streak that appears in the sky when a meteoroid is heated to incandescence by friction with the earth's atmosphere. Also called falling star, meteor burst; Also called shooting star.

I so have to stock up trash mags.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last ones are my favourites,as you can make a wish upon spotting them:)
As for reading,how was the Armistead Maupin book?

Antipodeesse said...

I've got some trash mags for you, but they're very trashy. Be careful what you wish for!

;-)

Ms Mac said...

Oh, that was me, not her. She's at my house.

Toño said...

I love to see the falling stars and make a wish and even if my wish does not come true I just love to see them, because it is magic and makes me dream...