Tuesday, May 08, 2007

100 Years Birchstrasse 155

Today, we proudly celebrated the 100 year anniversary of the premises where I work.



We can't say that we celebrate the 100 year anniversary of my caring employer. Things were not that easy in such a disrupted period like the last century, where companies are bought out, taken over, merged, spin off or sold almost faster than a straight man can change his underwear (The Gays™ are still a bit ahead).

On the 8th of May 1907, the Schweizerische Werkzeugmaschinenfabrik Oerlikon (SWO) (Swiss Machine Tool Factory Oerlikon) opened its doors. It had acquired the machinetool division of the Maschinenfabrik Oerlikon (MFO) (Machinery Manufacturing Company Oerlikon)*.

So everything started with a classical spin-off. Many more of such events happened. Nowadays many companies claim this event the foundation stone of their existence. They may do whatever they like. We did not care and celebrated voluptuously.

* See here a report on the park that was built in the memory of this company and is hence called MFO Park (and not birdcage as some might claim).

3 comments:

Toño said...

You did right to celebrate. Happy anniversary "Swiss Machine Tool Factory Oerlikon" + "Machinery Manufacturing Company Oerlikon".

I feel like congratulation a an Iron Grandmother...;)

Ms Mac said...

In my defence, when I uploaded the pictures to Flickr, I did make reference to The Birdcage's proper name.

Mr. Urs said...

Well Ms.Mac, it seems that I haven't done my homework...