Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Epically Classical

Mr.Mac has brought me a copy of the TV series Rome, which was a brilliant idea *patting Mr.Mac's shoulder* I like it. As chance would have it, I was reading two books about that period.

The first was Imperium by Robert Harris. Yes, it's a typical Robert Harris. I leave it with that.

Another calibre is The Classical World: An Epic History from Homer to Hadrian by Robin Lane Fox.



Historians might gripe about one or the other detail. However, I'm none of them and highly enjoyed the read. I'm now also updated about the importance of buggery in the various phases of the Classical World. Just in case time travel will ever make headway.

3 comments:

Ms Mac said...

The only negative thing I have to say about Rome is that it came to an end. I was desperate for a Mark Antony & Cleopatra spin-off but we all know what happened to them!

There's a new Henry VIII thing with Jonathan Rhys Meyers that I thought may take Rome's place but the reviews I've read have not been favourable, I'm afraid.

Toño said...

I like very much the TV series Rome, but if we watch more than three series in one evening I will certainly have nightmares, since they were sometimes real brutals those Romans...

Michael Lehet said...

Uhm....nice picture...but for some reason there's a book covering the middle of ti!