Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Reading Snack

I know, being a country cousin and living in Switzerland shields me from quite some terrible things out there in the world. However, sometimes I leave this Garden of Eden where milk and honey flows and I have to face the world.

This morning, I almost let drop my coffee and muffin when I spotted this on Glasgow airport:



Yes, it's a book vending machine. Those things might be common at your sort of place. And you might think that this must be serendipity for somebody with an addiction to all printed matter. Nevertheless, for me, it was quite a dystopian experience.

Until the end of June, Switzerland's book shops were bound by a book price trust. That means that until the federal court broke the trust, competition via price was prohibited. Of course, we were paying far too much for the books, but we still have a wide variety of book shops were the staff actually knows what they are selling and can give competent recommendations.

But now I've seen Switerland's future. Thank you federal court. Will we soon can buy justice too like books, chips and soda at a vending machine?

7 comments:

Ms Mac said...

But is the point of a vending machine not that it's open 24hours a day? Surely being able to buy a book whenever you feel like it can only be a good thing. I can't wait until they install one in our village next to the cigarette machine!

I remember, living in my Western Suburb of Melbourne all those years ago, the excitement I felt when I heard a book shop had opened up. Yes, previously there was NO bookshop in the Werribee/Hoppers Crossing area. I dashed down there and asked if the man behind the counter could point me in the direction of Steinbeck. "Steinbeck,"he said, "hmmmmmm.... how do you spell that?" I walked straight back out again.

Mr. Urs said...

Steinbeck! Chapeau, Ms.Mac!! So far, I've read only 'In Dubious Battle' by Steinbeck. It was a recommendation by Tigresa, who I think read it on recommendation by a former lover. Unfortunately, 'The Grapes of Wrath' is still on me sky high pile of not yet read books.

Toño said...

Welcome back Sir!
I haven't even heard your voice yet and I am already reading your blog...

From Steinbeck I have read "East of Eden" and it was simply a fabulous roman.

Ms Mac said...

Yes, yes, yes! East of Eden is my favourite Steinbeck of all time. Followed by Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath.

You simply must get around to The Grapes of Wrath. I insist, Sir!

Anonymous said...

Hello gomad,
followed your witty comments on Ms MAc's blog and decided to sneak a peek on yours:)

This vending machine, for once, is a super duper idea,I'd be happy if they would put them up in Switzerland as well.Preferably stocked up with english books ONLY and more preferably good literature or chicklit books ONLY:)

Gone would be the days when on a late saturday evening I realise I have actually forgotten to go to the library on time and will have NOTHING to read on Sunday,this is a zilion times worse than having 'nothing to wear':)!!

Unknown said...

lol - now that is just too funny!!!

Oh wow...

Thanks again for all of the recommendations!!! We will enjoy researching this out more.

Mr. Urs said...

Ok ladies, I give in. I will embrace every book vending machine that will be placed in Switzerland. I just hope they stock more Steinbeck's than Ukrainian tractor books.