Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Apple Cake Experience

This apple cake is from Thurgau, the place where I was born and formed. Unfortunately, I have never made one until Friday night. I did compensated for this neglect by making two cakes - one for Gatín and one for my clan in the lovely Thurgau.



That is, what it takes for a circular mould with a diameter of 22 cm:
  • 125 g butter
  • 125 g sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • juice of ½ lemon
  • 200 g flour
  • a level spoonful of baking powder
  • 4 apples.
Butter the mould and powder it with some flour. Put the mould at a cool place.

Mix the butter and sugar until the mixture is foamy. Add egg yolk and lemon juice. Sift the flour and baking powder onto the mixture. Beat the egg white. Mix the stiff egg white carefully with the mixture and fill it into the prepared mould.

Peal the apples, cut into half and core them. Cut the apples from the round side, but don't cut through. Put the apples slightly into the cake. Besprinkle the cake with some sugar.

Preheat the oven to 200 °C and bake the cake for 35 minutes. Enjoy as soon as the cake is cooled down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am saving the very last peace of that cake for myself! It is delicious. Thanks so much. Gatin.

Ms Mac said...

It looks wonderful! I may even try one myself.

mr. mac said...

Do it ms. mac. That looks great and I am ready for some right now.