Saturday, May 13, 2006

Screws

Tonight, while reading the new BUTT, I was wondering, when screws were invented. Toño thought that it must have been before the French Revolution. A guillotine would not have worked without screws. I completely agree, but I still haven't got a date. My encyclopedia on the shelf and Wikipedia list a lot of details but no date of invention. Thanks to Google, I found a Dr Karl and his Great Moments in Science from the other end of the world (i.e. Australia). He had an answer:
It’s reckoned that the Greeks had invented the screw back in the 5th century BC. By the 1st century BC, the Greeks and Romans were using screw presses to press [...] wine.
It was for wine! Toño should have known.

2 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Mr Mac and I are great fans of Dr Karl who it seems knows everything!

If you're ever up very early on a Thursday morning about 3am) you could probably lisen to him online via Triple J

Toño said...

There is always something knew to learn and I am glad to learn it from you...I know, I know, this fact is not an excuse...