Sunday, January 13, 2008

Meet The Eels

This weekend was devoted to oregano and Eels*. Oregano made it in every main course (without having anything Italian), Eels occupied the rest.

Having a red-eye back from Canada was not the most pleasant experience. The film selection did anything but deserve the term selection, the book I took with me was boring**, and The New Yorker was also not up to its usual standard. With Swiss still jamming business class on middle haul flights with substandard seats, there was not much sleep in sight***. All I had was my iPod and destiny made me select Eels. I have to quote myself: It's like standing in a rain of diamonds - painful yet wonderful. This saved my trip home.

Coming home, I was surprised with with two new records****:

Meet The Eels. Essential Eels Vol.1 1996-2006.

Eels Useless Trinkets. B-sides, Soundtracks, Rarities and Unreleased. 1996-2006.

They went straight to hot rotation. I reckon, I have to calm down my attraction to E or will get into trouble with Toño. However, I hope, after missing Eels twice due to business trips, to meet them on March 6, when they will receive Switzerland in audience.



* not the ones people catch with horse heads since they read or saw the The Tin Drum.
** I devoured The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen, enjoyed his How To Be Alone, but have to warn anyone attempting to read The Discomfort Zone. It's a heap of horse shit.
*** Though the service was flawless - at least for me. The bitchin' lady next to me got what she deserved.
**** US release 1/15, Europe 1/21 - I have no idea why I received them earlier.

4 comments:

Mickle in NZ said...

As it happened - i checked out the Youtube link, thanks Gomad for more great music you've introduced me to.
Then I read the rest of your entry and my thoughts were:

I have both seen and read "The Tin Drum"....we catch eels here in netts... there is some smoker eel in my fridge....and all through this a Lila Downs concert was playing on the radio. Lila sang a song about mole, all a bit surreal,

Am pleased you're home safe and back with your Tono

Ms Mac said...

Why can everyone in the world except me wear aviators and not look like an idiot?

Ms Mac said...

I should add that the same goes for wayfarers.

Mr. Urs said...

Michelle in NZ: Do you mean the song La Cumbia del Mole? I made a mole post a while ago.

Ms.Mac: I know I look awful in sunglasses that's why I don't wear them (actually I break them within minutes).