Thursday, October 05, 2006

Dining with His Excellency

Toño, I and some friends of ours went to a tasting of Uruguayan wines this afternoon. We had to impose merchants to participate (it worked again).

Uruguay is famous for its Tannat wines. They also do Asados and of course, there was one at the tasting (my first actually). My cut of meat was served by the wife of His Excellency, the ambassador of Uruguay. His Ecellency then commanded me to drink wine. They were really charming. I had to obey. Now I head for an early night.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hey that sounds like a wonderful time! I actually bought myself a bottle of wine for Ginnie that P and I just loved while we were on our wine tour in July. I'm glad I did that because I understand wines sooooooo much more!

Toño said...

I am real impressed, since the Tannat character from southern France has a totally other character from the one from Uruguay. This vine variety thrives and prospers in such a big variety over there, that it ist very amazing to discover, depending from the Uruguay's region, a very different taste of it. One of the dessert wines (from which's vinification is similar to a port wine) made out of Tannat, of course, taste like the Black Forest gateau...yes it does! Now I have to provide some of this excellent sweat wine, because I know someone who loves this gateau...

Ryan said...

wish i could have been there!

Michael Lehet said...

Last year in Cancun, Mexico my friend took me to a place where we had similarly grilled meats...oh they were so good and tasty...my mouth is watering now!