Monday, April 10, 2006

Dinner and Attitude

On Saturday, we were invited for dinner by Ho, the head of our local team. He brought us to a restaurant called Peng Yu. I did not understand a word they said while Ho and his wife were ordering. And I'm still not quite certain, if I know everything I've eaten. However, It was absolutely delicious. If you ever make it to this part of Malaysia, pay Mrs. Ah Hing a visit:



Nevertheless the language issues, I learned a Chinese word that night: Kiasu. Actually it's a Hokkien, written like 怕输, and stands for 'extreme fear of losing'. For example, when you have to buy the same stuff as your neighbours, not because you really want it, but because your are afraid it would tarnish your reputation, if you don't have it. The Malaysians claim that the Singaporean are very kiasu.

I recommend, you book your flight to Malaysia a.s.a.p. Others might be faster in experiencing the pleasure of eating at Peng Yu.

3 comments:

Toño said...

Well, well, you have convinced me. I will pay Mrs. Ah Hing a visit at Restaurant Peng Yu, if ever I go to that part or Malaysia, because I love the asian kitchen.

Ms Mac said...

I love an Asian kitchen too. As long as the menu has a wee bit of English on it.

Bbut imagine the Malaysians needing "to keep up with the Joneses" too. I thought that was an Anglo issue only!

Unknown said...

I'm sure the food is delicious, but a trip out to china to eat that type of food? I'd think you'd better convince people why they'd want to go to the area first. But I'm guessing I might find something here in Vancouver too because they've got a lot of Chinese immigrants/citizens not far from my door step.