Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Sparrow Among Hawks

Some weeks ago, I've been offered a position in another department. I'm supposed to make a decision by this Monday, but I've still haven't made up my mind. It would be a job in the Naval Systems Product Management and among my tasks would be to supervise my current department (Naval Systems Development). What are the odds?
  • Plus: It's the winning team in the limelight (at least for now).
  • Plus: I'm a bit bored right now (I'm always bored when I know the ropes)
  • Plus: It's strategic
  • Plus: Shorter business trips
  • Negative: Responsibilities are fuzzily defined (i.e. not at all)
  • Negative: It's more meetings and paperwork and less tangible
  • Negative: About the same amount of travel but no sailing on warships anymore
  • Negative: More suits.


But things got more complicated on Friday, when my boss gave his notice. He has some sever health issues and thus has to adapt his life to them, i.e. he is moving to Denmark. He recommended me to his boss as his successor. Nontheless, the changes for getting actually appointed are slim. Our company is in a deep leanfleshed kine period and people are not hiding their knives. We had loads of lay-offs lately and there are a lot of under-worked middle-managers (why are they always sacked last?). I don't think that they will choose the youngest candidate at hand, with very little political connections.

Is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh wow! Good luck with this. I'm not sure but to me, if you have a new boss maybe the other job is better. And if you are bored, change will be good. Just make sure it's not a position that needs to be sacked!

Toño said...

It seems to me that the position in another department offers you more security. But if you get an offer to take your actual boss's position, then you have to consider it.